Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tragedy! Crisis!

I am a creature of habit.  I am also verrrrrrry particular.  Take my choice in gum: from the ages of 13 through 20, I only chewed one brand of gum:

I would refuse any other type of gum offered to me, and probably went through a pack or two every day.  I was obsessed!  Then one day, I guess I finally got sick of it - the very smell of someone chewing a piece of Winterfresh made me gag.  I needed to move on.

And move on I did.  Enter the incredibly fabulous Orbit White Spearmint:


I was in love.  Orbit became my drug gum of choice, and life was grand.

But something has gone awry.  The other day, I was unable to find a single glorious green pack of heaven anywhere in my local grocery store.  Okay, fair enough, perhaps they don't carry it anymore.  That was just fine with me, as I usually buy my gum in bulk from my local Sam's Club anyway.  Gotta stay stocked up.

But when I made a special trip to Sam's, tragedy struck.  Nowhere in the entire gum and candy aisle was I able to locate my Orbit White Spearmint.  I literally stood in the same exact spot for a good five minutes staring at the shelves, willing it to appear.  And the worst part is, there was not even an empty spot for it - I think Wrigley and Sam had a nasty break-up and Orbit White Spearmint was part of the court settlement.

Oh but the horror continued to unfold when an awful thought entered my head: what if Wrigley is - gasp - discontinuing Orbit White Spearmint?!  The non-"White" version (oh my, I promise that is not intended to sound ignorant!!) of Orbit suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkks.*

So I've come to a fork in the road:
(1) Choose a new brand of gum (blasphemy!).  I've tried my best to like the Peppermint version of Orbit White:

See?  Even the Peppermint's free image is crappier than the Spearmint's!

... but I just can't make it happen.  I feel like I'm going to puke with every piece.

Option 2:  Become obsessive about Orbit White Spearmint and try to track myself down a new supplier.  Perhaps I'll buy a whole case like Elaine with the sponges.  Don't put it past me!


*There may or may not have been an embarrassing incident in which my office Secret Santa gave me the regular Orbit Spearmint gum rather than Orbit White Spearmint gum.  I may or may not have made a snide comment regarding the incorrect gum purchase.  Said snide comment may or may not have been made directly to my Secret Santa, before I knew my Secret Santa's true identity.  I considered quitting my job from sheer embarrassment alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment