Monday, May 2, 2011

Flying Pig Training Re-Cap: Week 18

Well, the marathon is over, and I know you're all DYING to know the outcome, but I must first post my final re-cap.  Week 18 of 18 - DONE!

Monday, 4/25 - Zumba
Tuesday, 4/26 - off
Wednesday, 4/27 - 3 miles in 30 minutes (10:04 average)
Thursday, 4/28 - 2 miles in 18 minutes (9:07 average)
Friday, 4/29 - off
Saturday, 4/30 - 2 miles in ~23ish minutes
Sunday, 5/1 - RACE DAY!  Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon - 26.2 miles in (wait for it ...)


I'd like to call this week the "proof that I can run fast(er) if I really, really try" week.  If I know I only have to run 2 miles, I can talk myself into pushing it to the point of almost puking.  Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme.  I was pretty out of breath after my two 9-minute miles.  I know this still is not that impressive, but for the slowpoke that I am, it was like sprinting!

The two miles on Saturday night were at a much, much slower pace - in fact, I didn't even time it.  It was more of an opportunity to loosen up in preparation for the BIG DAY, which was mere hours away.  Oh, and a good chance to catch up with this girl:

CLAIRE!
Oh yes, we wore matching race shirts for our little jog.  We ran with matching dogs, too:



My neighbors already think I'm nutty.  Oh well.

So with the last week of training under my belt, I was ready to face The Pig.  Overall, I completed approximately 82% of my plan.  I admit, it could have been better, but ironically, it was nearly exactly the same completion percentage of my Detroit plan (which was Hal Higdon's Novice 1, a total of 435 scheduled miles versus this plan's 460 miles).  That's a whole lotta training.

Eighteen weeks and 376 miles later, I was as ready as I'd ever be for the big day.  I'll be posting a proper marathon re-cap here shortly ... stay tuned!


2011 Flying Pig Training Mileage Stats
Scheduled (This Week): 7
Completed (This Week): 7 (100%)
Scheduled (Overall): 460
Completed (Overall): 376 (82%)

1 comment: