Saturday, January 8, 2011

Caramelized Tofu and Brussels Sprouts

Tonight I was really craving something healthy, filling, and without beans (between this week's black bean soup dinner, black bean soup lunch leftovers, and a black bean burger lunch, I think I've nearly over-done it).  I have been on a brussels sprouts kick, too.  So on my way home from Dick's (where I bought a second pair of running tights with a gift card from my mother-in-law - score!), I stopped for some tofu and brussels sprouts.  Google dug me up this little gem of a recipe.

I subbed almonds for walnuts, since I had them handy, and cooked up a batch of brown rice for a base of good carbs.  Gotta run 9 miles tomorrow!

Now, there's something you must know.  I'm not a very good cook.  I had to Google how to cook brown rice, because I've been known to force down half-cooked rice in an attempt to save my pride.  I started the rice off, and, in the meantime, prepped all of my ingredients:

7 ounces extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into strips
a few pinches of sea salt
about 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup almonds, toasted in a pan
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 pound brussels sprouts, cut into thin slices


Check out those brussels sprouts!


As a new vegetarian, I don't have too much experience with tofu.  I do know that extra firm tofu is good for sauteing, and that you need to press it before cooking.  I admit that I was a bit impatient, and didn't press for the recommended 15-20 minutes, but I got a good 10 minutes in or so.  Then I sliced it up and got busy - adding it to a hot pan with oil and a pinch of salt:


After about 4-5 minutes, I added the garlic and almonds; a minute or so later, the brown sugar.  Things were starting to come together!


A few minutes later, I set the tofu aside and mixed in the cilantro:


Now it was the brussels sprouts' turn.  On medium-high heat, I heated up some more olive oil and added the star ingredient to the pan.


I cooked these until they were somewhat brown and looking completely delicious, then mixed them in with the tofu:


And amazingly ... I made my own dinner!



This meal earned an 'A' on Calorie Count, clocking in at about 350 calories, 20 grams of fat, 30 grams of carbs, and 7 grams of fiber.  The brown rice contributed about an additional 220 calories, 45 grams of carbs, and 3.5 grams of fiber.  The only (easily preventable) drawback is that the meal is a bit high in sugar and sodium.  But I tell you what, that brown sugar was worth it!

This recipe was absolutely amazing.  I will definitely be checking back for more delicious recipes at 101 Cookbooks - that is for sure!

1 comment:

  1. That actually looks mighty tasty, but there is an entire bag of walnuts in the pantry :)

    ReplyDelete