Sunday, January 23, 2011

Flying Pig Training Re-Cap: Week 3

Training is officially underway!  Here is a run-down of Week 3:

Monday, 1/10 - Zumba
Tuesday, 1/11 - off
Wednesday, 1/12 - 3 miles in 29 minutes (9:42 average)
Thursday, 1/13 - off (not feeling so hot ...)
Friday, 1/14 - off (... still under the weather - this is not good ...)
Saturday, 1/15 - off (... STILL feeling nasty, but rallied to host our *belated* Annual Christmas Dinner with the girls)
Sunday, 1/16 - 7 miles in 1 hour, 18 minutes (11:10 average)

Okay, so if you know me, you know that having this many off days is freaking me the hell out.  In training for my first marathon, I missed a total of 75 miles of the scheduled 435 - and I was bent out of shape about it.  I am a black-or-white thinker - all or nothing.  When I first missed a run as part of training for Detroit in week 7 (of 18), I instantly began freaking out.  What if I am not training sufficiently?  What if missing runs becomes a habit? What if I can't finish the marathon because I've missed training runs?  As I learned, sometimes you have to pay it forward to yourself.  Missing a handful of miles is not going to make or break you on marathon day.  So when I started feeling crappy on Thursday, I gave myself permission to take a break and rest up.

And it was a good thing I did.  On Sunday, I was scheduled to run 6 miles, but for some reason, I kept thinking I had 7 to do.  I felt sluggish heading out, but within a half mile I realized that I had a lot more energy than I thought.  Seven miles later, I was feeling back to 100%!  Sometimes taking a sick day is a good thing - and other times, you need to just suck it up and get your butt moving.


2011 Flying Pig Training Mileage Stats
Scheduled (This Week): 17
Completed (This Week): 10
Scheduled (Overall): 56
Completed (Overall): 46

No comments:

Post a Comment