Saturday, February 12, 2011

Run/Walk

It is a BEAUTIFUL day in the 'Nati today - perfect for a long training run: 45 degrees and sunny!  Such a welcome change from the sub-20 temps we had earlier this week!

Today I had 14 miles on the schedule.  My friend from work, Ashley, who is also training for the Pig, joined me.  She normally trains with a running group, but the scheduled run was across town, and since she's just down the street from me, we decided to run together.

Ashley does the "run/walk" method, where runs are broken up with scheduled walk breaks.  Her split is 3:1 - run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute.  I've done some shorter training runs with her before, and this method is not as easy as it sounds.  I prefer the "straight run" method, just because I'm somewhat convinced that if I walk, I might not be able to start back running again.  But I gotta tell you, this run/walk thing is tough.

My average "straight run" pace is about 11:00 minute miles.  Ashley's run pace is about 9:00-9:30 minute miles, so it just about evens out with the walk breaks.  In fact, our marathon finish times (we both have one under our belts) is almost the same.

Unfortunately, Ashley was feeling a bit under the weather today, so she went home after 5 miles (major kudos to her for getting those in - it's not easy to run while sick!!).  I did the remaining 9 at my normal "straight run" method.

Now I'm finally home, showered, fed, and recovering.  Oh, and preparing for tonight's Cincy Winter Beer Fest.  I think I've earned the right to enjoy a couple of these:


Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment