Sunday, April 3, 2011

Running is Making Me Old

I'm beginning to think that running is making me an old lady.  Knee aches and hip pains aside, I've found myself doing and thinking many things that are indicative of getting old.  Take the following examples of thoughts I've had while running through neighborhoods:

-Today is April 3rd.  Christmas lights and Christmas decorations should have been removed months ago.  I can't tell you how many houses I've seen that are still adorned with Santa Claus door hangers and twinkling multi-colored lights.  Most of these houses are in some pretty ritzy neighborhoods - so I know these people can afford to pay the kid down the street 20 bucks to take them down.  Come ON, people!
-If you have a ridiculously long driveway, why would you decide to park right where the driveway meets the sidewalk?  Because it is funny to watch me have to run into the street to circle around your car?  How hard is it to pull up five feet?!
-Speed limits in neighborhoods are 25 mph for a reason - because there is bound to be a lot of pedestrian traffic.  Attention to all of you jerks rolling through at 45 - slow it down!
-On the other hand, no need to slow it down just to stare at me and wonder why on earth I'm running up and down your cul-de-sac in sub-zero temperatures.  NO, I am not running from someone chasing me - NO, I do not need a ride somewhere - NO, I am not out of my mind insane (well ... that last part is debatable).  Mind your business!  Keep it moving!
-This last one takes the cake, and I know it has affected many-a female runner.  I will NEVER understand why people (okay, men) feel the need to honk their horn when they see someone walking or running down the street.  First of all, a honking horn 15 feet away from a vehicle is awfully loud, and never fails to scare the bejesus out of me.  Secondly, what are these men expecting?  That the woman is going to be SO flattered by their horn honk that she decides to flag them down to set up a date?  Come on now!  I think Jerry Seinfeld said it best in the closing credits of the very first Seinfeld episode, The Seinfeld Chronicles:

"Women know what men want, men know what men want, what do we want? We want women, that's it!...It's the only thing we know for sure, it really is: we want women. How do we get them? Oh, we don't know 'bout that, we don't know. The next step after that we have no idea. This is why you see men honking car-horns, yelling from construction sites. These are the best ideas we've had so far...The car-horn-honk, is that a beauty? Have you seen men doing this? What is this? The man is in the car, the woman walks by the front of the car, he honks: [imitates horn] e-eeehh, eehhh, eehhh, this man is out of ideas. How does it...? [imitates horn again] e-e-e-eeeehhhh, "I don't think she likes me"...The amazing thing is, that we still get women, don't we. Men, I mean, men are with women. You see men with women. How are men getting women, many people wonder. Let me tell you a little bit about our organization. "Where ever women are?", we have a man working on the situation right now. Now, he may not be our best man, OK, we have a lot of areas to cover, but someone from our staff is on the scene...That's why, I think, men get frustrated, when we see women reading articles, like: "Where to meet men?". We're here, we are everywhere. We're honking our horns to serve you better."

So do you see what I mean?  The more I run, the more I have these thoughts that I'm convinced are just signs that I'm getting older.  I am, after all, going to be 30 in a matter of months ...

No comments:

Post a Comment